Monday, March 28, 2011

polka dots, please

Photobucket

So, it's Monday again. Boo. I guess that's okay, though, because I had a pretty great weekend, during which I did absolutely nothing. That's right. I read a book, I watched some movies, I ate veggie wraps and walked to the market and made macaroons. I wrote a scene. It was marvelous.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(polka dot dress: forever 21; black dress: american apparel; hat/scarf/belt/purse: vintage; tights: hue; shoes: seychelles)

When I got dressed this morning I started thinking about trends, and how certain things cycle in and out of our lives over the years, and how sometimes one of those things will snag and stay with us until the next resurfacing. Scarves snagged for me. I think they are so classic and they add so much interest to any outfit because of their unique patterns. Every time I see a silk (or imitation silk) scarf on a shelf somewhere I buy it, and usually it only costs $.50-$1.50 (which is an absolute steal). I think I like them because I identify them with the beat movement, somewhere between hipster and homeless (all of the street kids I've encountered who traveled Kerouac-style by jumping trains wore handkerchiefs this way, most likely for nose-blowing and dust-blocking and the like). Also, bandits from old cowboy movies. But I don't identify with that so much :)

11 comments:

  1. I love the polka dot dress so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress and how you styled it!


    ~Miranda
    www.indcfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loove the polka dot dress so much, I just got a polka dot romper, polka dots are so cute always. It looks great layered with the top and scarf. And how cute are you with pigtail braids?!
    I really like scarfs too, you look so chic with the little silk ones, I usually am drawn towards the thick knitted ones. Which isn't great in summertime.
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your dress, your shoes, your bag...the whole look is perfection!! Scarves really are timeless, and they work with pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your hat! And your dress! And your hair looks great :D
    I'm the same way with scarves, whenever one catches me eye I buy it! I have so many, and don't wear them often enough. I suppose the cold weather doesn't help, you've inspired me to break them out when it gets warmer. Or maybe even sooner!
    M xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read Kerouac but I reallllly want to, I'm going to try and keep it in mind for summerbreak!
    your outfit is absolutely adorable, I love the polkadots and the colorcombination. You remind me of Anna Karina :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great look from hat to shoes :) I am with you on scarves, they are a bargain and really jazz up an outfit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! the scarf is absolutely adorable and works excellently with the rest of the outfit. I always mean to say this but never do - your shoes are amazing. love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bag it really makes the outfit pop.

    Your weekends sounds wonderful. What book did you read? You have a really intriguing reading taste, Caitlin. And making macaroons is not doing nothing, those are tough! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're absolutely right! Something about those iconic styles that can really make an outfit feel different. Even if no one else knows that's why you decided to wear a scarf that way, on that particular day, it can still make you feel special.


    www.morganandlua.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weekends spent doing nothing are the best! I probably indulge in them a little too often. Anyways, I totally love how you styled up this outfit, the polka dots are my fave!

    xx

    ReplyDelete