Saturday, July 23, 2011

savory saturday: spinach&onion lasagne

Photobucket

Ingredients:

1/2 box lasagne noodles
1 jar chunky pasta sauce
1 can tomato sauce
8 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
spinach (fresh or frozen)
large yellow onion
(or bunch of small ones, if they happen to be at the Farmer's Market!)
parmesan cheese
garlic

Directions:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, chop onions (&drink champagne), cook noodles (or use the fancy kind that doesn't require cooking), and microwave spinach.

STEP ONE: spread tomato/pasta sauce (mixture) on the bottom of the pan.

Photobucket

STEP TWO: lay the foundation -- four rows of noodles!

Photobucket

STEP THREE: spread ricotta cheese on the noodles.

Photobucket

STEP FOUR: squeeze excess water out of the spinach, then layer with onions (or any other kind of veggies you'd like to include). Sometimes I sautee the onions first, but I didn't this time and the result was the same, so don't bother!

Photobucket

STEP FIVE: cover the veggies with PLENTY of mozzarella :)

Photobucket

STEP SIX: spread a layer of tomato/pasta sauce over the cheese.

Photobucket

Annnnnnd repeat! When you reach your top layer, spread your remaining sauce and another layer of cheese over the noodles, then sprinkle parmesan cheese and minced garlic over the top. I forgot parmesan this time, but it's definitely worth adding if you have some! Cover the dish with tin foil and bake at 350 F for 40 minutes, then uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes (until the cheese gets brown and bubbly)!

Photobucket

Delicious. I promise you. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks really good. I need to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I've always been to afraid to make my own lasagna because it seemed complicated but this doesn't look too hard. I'm sure it's a thousand time better than the frozen one I'll buy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'd love to make this sometime. The only thing that keeps me from making big, tasty things like this is that I'd be eating it for a week! haha

    ReplyDelete