Tuesday, April 10, 2012

in which i simplify

Photobucket

Maybe it's the springtime, but I've been feeling some serious waves of change wash over me lately.  I suddenly feel like I'm ready to grow up.  I've been feeling it for a while, really, chasing me down, but now the need is nipping at my heels.  I mentioned last week that I'm in a bit of a blogging rut, and that I think my blog might need to evolve in some way, so I've been puzzling that out.  There may be some changes around these parts in the coming months.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(dress: tjmaxx; trench: h&m; vest: plato's closet; shoes: seychelles; glasses: c/o glassesusa.com; necklace: uo)

Suddenly, almost overnight, I feel like my closet represents who I've been, not who I am.  I might be ready to move beyond babydoll dresses and peter pan collars, toward more classic cuts and prints.  I don't want people to mistake me for fifteen anymore.  I'm just trying to figure out what that might mean.

Maybe it's because I finished my novel, and now I feel like I can move into the next stage of my life.  While the book is most definitely fiction, there is an angst about it that characterizes the past few years of my life--sort of a metaphor for my not knowing what to do with myself, or where my true passions lie.  Maybe it's because I've been making a conscious effort to be more creative on a daily basis.  Maybe it's because I'm learning to accept and understand modern technology (I blame Instagram for making me want an iPhone).  I think I'm slowly starting to see the light, but I'm still struggling to find the motivation I need to make things happen when I have no idea even where to begin.

So that's where I'm at right now.  I didn't realize until I was editing these pictures that it sort of looks like I am wearing a parachute.  How apt.  Here we go!

11 comments:

  1. Yippee! Good luck as you transition into this new phase :) And, FYI, Instagram is available on Android now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a good trench to make you look polished and professional. Love yours. I didnt realize you finished your novel. Congrats! Looking forward to seeing these changes you talked about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm not even remotely ready to grow up (although the angst can take a hike any day) but I feel like time is not on my side these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this look! I have a similar vest and I never know how to wear it, I like how you put it over your trench! I'm excited to see your changes, you have great style, so I know it will be good! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those glasses look great on you! I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel like I need to dress more adult...but I have so much fun with the clothes that I have so I quickly change my mind. You have great style!

    xx Adrian
    http://adrianlovesowls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Change can be good though! I know the feeling well though, definitely some of that going on in my life right now.
    You're so clever layering the vest over your jacket. I love this look a lot, great neutrals together
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean. Its grow up time...at least style wise.
    Also, congratulations on finishing your novel!! That is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hove you switched layers! it looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pretty much love your blog so the idea of 'blogging evolution' is kind of exciting to me. I love reading what you write now & looking at your pretty pictures, but I'm sure whatever direction you decide to take it will be equally as awesome.

    ReplyDelete