Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013: happy new year!

Picture324two

I have a marvelous New Year's :)  K planned a surprise getaway to Albany, New York, and booked a room (the inn equivalent of a penthouse, on the top floor) at this amaaaaaaaaaaazing "Mansion Row" inn called the Morgan State House.  As soon as we reached the top of the stairs and I looked through the French doors to see the spacious room with that incredible skylight, I was in heaven.

Picture330two Photobucket Picture328two

We arrived around 3 PM, and spent the first few hours of our stay relaxing, sipping champagne, and reading up on the history of the inn.  I was even more enchanted by the room after learning that the house had been owned by Alice Morgan Wright, a renowned sculptor and activist who spent time in prison for her participation in the women's suffragist movement in the early 1900s, and was an active advocate for women's rights until the mid-1940s, when she switched her focus to animal rights.  We spent the night in what once was her art studio. Pretty. Awesome.  Around six, I got gussied up and K took pictures of my outfit.

Picture346-1 Picture344two Photobucket

Seriously, I love this dress SO MUCH.  I found it for two dollars at the Bargain Boutique and it fit PERFECTLY.  It is homemade brocade.  I've been saving it for months because I knew it would be perfect for NYE, and now I plan to wear it all the time! :)  We left the room only briefly to enjoy a delicious meal at the Jewel of India, conveniently located right around the corner (so my bare legs didn't take much of a beating).  It's become something of a tradition for K and I to have Indian on NYE (when he's around). OMG so good, I want it again right now.

Picture362two Photobucket

After dinner we headed back to the room to indulge in chocolate and champagne (and whiskey and coke for K), take advantage of that awesome tub, and watch House Hunters and catch the end of Taylor Swift's unfortunate performance before the ball dropped in Times Square.  The next morning we had breakfast at the only diner that was open in town and headed back to Vermont, where we had milkshakes for dinner.  Our holiday season is always pretty party-heavy, so it's nice to be able to get away from it all and spend that last night of the year exploring a new place with K. I had such a great time, and if the 'eve was any indication, I'm in for a pretty spectacular year, with a pretty spectacular fellow by my side :)

2012 was a good year, but I just KNOW that 2013 is going to be GREAT!

4 comments:

  1. Awww you two are so cute, this sounds like such a great way to ring in the New Year. I absolutely love this dress, what an amazing find!!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds AMAZING. And looks it! Little bit jealous.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like an amazing getaway! That place is so cool-looking! This is a really great idea for New Year's Eve. I'd love to do something like this for New Year's some day. Your dress is absolutely perfect too. I would want to wear it every week if I had one like it!

    ReplyDelete